PE & Sports Premium
What is the Sports Premium?
The funding is called PE and Sports Premium Funding, and it’s being provided to improve provision of physical education and sport in primary schools across the country. The funding is being jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture and Media and Sport. Their vision is that “All pupils leaving primary school are physically literate and have the knowledge, skills and motivation necessary to equip them for a healthy, active lifestyle and lifelong participation in physical activity and sport.”
Each school will receive £16,000 and an additional payment of £10 per pupil, here at Beeston that will mean around £16,560 a year. The money can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools.
Purpose of the funding
The objective for PE and Sports Premium Funding is to achieve self-sustaining improvement in the quality of PE and sport in primary schools against 4 key indicators:
1. The engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity – kick-starting healthy active lifestyles.
2. The profile of PE and sport being raised across the school as a tool for whole school improvement.
3. Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport.
4. Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils at Beeston Primary School we are committed to using the PE and Sports Premium Funding to enhance the high quality teaching and experiences we already provide and to increase the opportunities for children to be active and develop a passion for sports and physical activity.
Use of the funding at Beeston
The money is to be used so that all children benefit regardless of their sporting ability. We have always placed a high priority on our PE provision and, as such, have invested in additional staffing and resources to further enhance the PE curriculum as well as extra-curricular sports after school.
Some of the money will be used to buy new resources.
Other uses of the funding
- We are members of the West Norwich and Dereham School Sports Partnership, who provide additional coaching in schools as well as competitions and sports festivals within our MAT.
- Range of sporting opportunities – we pay for after school PE clubs which are free for children to attend.
- We are using funding to provide training for MSA’s at lunchtime to encourage regular physical activity.
- Upskilling teachers to teach PE across the school.